In news about super cool conferences that I miss, NextBillion reports that the folks in Camden have launched a Social Innovation Accelerator.
Their website offers the following criteria, and will start with a software for HIV+ patients called LifeWindows.
The Accelerator evaluates projects which:
• Embody a highly-differentiated, innovative, multi-disciplinary and potentially world-changing approach to a consequential global problems
• Will benefit from the unique skills of the Pop!Tech network
• Have a high multiple of impact
• Amplify the skill-sets of the social innovators involved in doing the work
• Leverage a “bottom up” or extensible community of participants (through open-source licensing, for example)
• Engage the intended community’s participation in the solution
• Have a clear path to becoming a functioning enterprise
• Can be completed in 24-36 months
Sounds like a great concept following other notable efforts, we'll be following them closely to see what other initiatives they hatch.
Hat tip to NextBillion
More at PopTech! 2007